federalsburg volunteer fire company
Chief: Steve Cox President: Doug Ramey EMS Capt: Dawn Ramey
The Federalsburg Volunteer Fire Company was formed in 1900. Fires were fought using a single eight man powered pump. In 1903 a disastrous fire occurred in the heart of town at Charles Pratt's residence on Main St. Three houses including part of the Mark Wright hardware store, located on the corner of Main and Central, were involved. Unable to fight this large fire, Federalsburg requested assistance from Cambridge. Due to the distance, Cambridge's horse drawn engine was loaded on a train and sent to expedite assistance.
The motto "Service to others without Compensation" was established in
the early 1900's. The first company president was J. Raymond Charles. In 1910 the Fire Company got its first engine hand pulled by eight members. In the 1926 we became a Corporation.
Now with the new title Federalsburg Volunteer Fire Company Inc. the company also purchased a Howe Rescue motorized engine. In 1931
the Fire Company started the annual carnival and in 1934 we started providing first aid.
In 1936 the Fire Company responded to 35 fires, in 1937 that number
went up to 45 fires. In 1941 the town gave the Fire Company the Municipal Building free and clear deed C.R. Poole signed 50 year lease.